[Gllug] ADSL upload speeds

Caparo caparo at saltmine.org.uk
Mon Jun 27 12:33:07 UTC 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 1:17, Adam Bower wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:39:32PM +0100, Caparo wrote:
> >  You mean to say that the service is SO BAD that tech support live in
> > fear of their lives, is there a new crime surfing rage now?
>
> I once had a nutcase phone me up demanding support, this was when I was
> working somewhere as both *the* sys-admin and support guy (was a small
> company) if you phoned up you got to speak to me and that was it, the
> only other possibility was that you could speak to the contractor we got
> in to cover when I was on holiday etc. but he hadn't been in for the
> previous 3 months.
>
> Anyhow, this nutcase gave me plenty of verbal because he claimed he had
> spoken to "Bob" about his technical problem last week, and that "Bob" had
> promised he would have fixed it by now yadda yadda but he hadn't. He then
> told me that I was lying when I said we didn't have anyone called "Bob"
> working for us and that somebody in the technial dept. must have lied to
> him when giving him a name to get out of fixing his problem.
>
> He then accused me of lying and being antagonistic and told me that he
> was going to complain about me to my boss and get me sacked (and he was
> also going to get Bob sacked) because we were incompetant and didn't know
> what we were talking about. He then threatened me with violence as
> apparently I was "being a smartarse" when I explained to him how big the
> technical dept. was and that he must have been mistaken.
>
> Anyhow, I'm not the kind of person who ever feel intimidated by people
> threatening violence, especially over the phone, but I can certainly
> understand companies giving people psuedonyms and assumed names given
> how threatening he was being. If you were working for a bigger company
> I can imagine that you will find plenty more nutters phoning you up.
>
> Oh, and it turned out that the reason for his technical problem was that
> he had never paid any of his bills, and even after he had been phoned
> and had letters written to him many months earlier we had pulled the
> plug on him 6 months prior to his phone call. Now I look back on the
> incident the guy was either a total moron or possibly mentally ill.
>
> Thanks
> Adam
> --
> jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
> AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Hmm,
 It seems then I have been lucky in all the years in IT of never having to
deal with anyone but the odd IT challanged individual. Mind you I am a hands
on guy who paid regular visits to the clientel and having met me the idea of
threatening me seemed to be very remote. Being 6'2" and 200+lb and ex
regiment does have its compensations.
 As one other poster assumed my last mail was very tongue in cheek since I am
a client of Demons and have not so far had a problem with them or their tech
support.

--
TTFN
     ^