[Gllug] VMware how do I access the guest when there is no host network connection?

Darren Beale bealers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:37:38 UTC 2005

Hi

The VMWare forum seems to break when I try to post so I figured I'd
try here instead.

I've a requirement to take my Win XP Pro Laptop to a conference
tomorrow running a bunch of websites in a VM Ware (4.5.2) instance on
a Debian (Sarge) guest.

The good news is that it all works great WHEN the host has a network
connection, when it doesn't (which it won't) then I can't access the
guest via tcp/ip

I installed the guest using bridging and after doing some reading it's
become obvious to me why it's not working with no connection (i.e.
there is nothing to bridge to). What is less obvious is how to get my
guest to instead 'talk' to the host only adaptor.

I've tried changing the /etc/network/interfaces file on the guest so
they are the same subnet of the vmnet1 interface, with a default GW of
the vmnet1 IP. I've also tried adding a virtual interface (e.g.
eth0:0) and then a  static route to vmnet1 for that subnet. In this
instance the bridged one still works but I cannot ping the guest/host
from either direction.

I guess I'm confused how these virtual network interfaces are
presented to the guest and how one accesses them.  I did a 'discover'
but it didn't come up with anything new and my knowledge of adding new
hardware to a running linux system is pretty ropey at best.

FWIW I do not have vmware tools installed, I tried but it needed
kernel headers and as I've not needed the tools at all so far (and am
under a tight deadline) I felt my energies were best used elsewhere.

Advice much appreciated.

Darren Beale
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk