[Gllug] Recovering ISOs from a FUBARed HDD

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jun 15 15:32:45 UTC 2005

John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> writes:

> I was thinking that there is no way to check that you are connecting
> to the correct machine, getting the correct file, that the start and
> end points are correct, or any attempt at bandwidth control. Unless
> I have misunderstood netcat, the only type of checking or control is
> what you get in TCP.

TCP is designed to be reliable up to the window size, IIRC. So netcat is
rate-limited to the socket properties. Any "lack-of-acknowledges" should
cause real TCP implementations to throttle transmission.

> Also if anything else connects to that port on the sending machine
> (eg a portscan) then netcat will starting sending to the connection
> instead, and you have to go back and start it up again.
>
> Most of the time it'll work, but in terms of reliability it's well
> below SSH, and probably any other TCP protocol else well.
>
> Any votes for least reliable network protocol ?

UDP over 10base2?

(And don't get me started on SLIP-at-115200bbp-over-crappy-cables, or
even Econet. Shudder)

cheers, Rich

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml