[Gllug] iptables and flaky ssh, ftp, vnc

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Wed Jun 15 16:56:29 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:

>The problem is that when using ssh, ftp or vnc, the connection is often
>lost.

By any chance do you live in the flight path of one of the airports?
Somewhere around 1/3 of the traffic coming into Heathrow seems to knock
my wireless for a loop, and TCP connections therefore drop.  There is a
quite clear connection between the plane passing overhead and the
connection dropping, with the drop happening just slightly before the
plane passes overhead.  (Forward pointing radar?)  It seems to happen
more often in morning and evening, but that could just be my usage pattern.

I've seen this with two access points (DLink 802.11g and a Vigor 2200
802.11b), and two laptops (Sony Vaio & IBM Thinkpad).

Alan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk