[Gllug] Linux -> windows issues

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 11 18:57:16 UTC 2005

>   I may be wrong, but AFAIK setting the IP address on each individual
>machine does not automatically propagate on to the others. Your
>"traditional" networking is just SMB networking which uses the interface MAC
>addresses, not TCP/IP.
>   You need to run a DHCP server to allow automatic TCP/IP allocation, or
>have a real DNS server and then specify the numerical IP address of that
>server in the TCP/IP configuration of each box. The ideal would be a Linux
>box running BIND9 as a DNS server, with each individual box given the IP
>address of the server.

Heh. My network is fine! It's a normal fully fledged TCP/IP network.
There is DNS and DHCP, normal TCP/IP networking is running fine. I can
ping every machine. The machines are all switched on at the mains too! I
wasn't even aware SMB could run without TCP/IP, I suppose it can over
netbui or something.

I'll try to see if I can find a rendevous/zeroconf mailing list. Someone
must have it running on windows. I strongly suspect as the XP machines
don't even detect Linux boxes when they broadcast their presence via
zeroconf (which I know work as they discover each other) there must be
something in windows telling it to ignore IGMP or multicast traffic. The
strange thing is though I don't even see the traffic incoming on the XP
machines. I'll double check the switches at the back end just to make
double sure the linux boxes and windows boxes are all plugged into the
same switch. Also I might try a linux boot CD and try some multicast
using that  to make sure it isn't related to the network cards or
hardware in the windows machines.

Cheers,
Matt.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk