[Gllug] Mail servers on FC4

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Tue Jun 28 09:34:49 UTC 2005

Pip wrote:
> I'm trying to get exim set up with a pop server - dovecot currently being
> struggled with - to allow for virtual users rather than just throwing
> everything in to /var/spool/mail and expecting users to have an account on
> the machine. Does anyone have a link to point me at an example of how to do
> this? I'm trying to replace the Windows NT mail servers (MDaemon) after
> having put in Samba to cope with the file servers.
> Any help gushingly appreciated.

How much effort it's worth expending probably depends on how many users
you expect to support. If it's, say, 20 it's probably not worth
buggering about with scalable systems; I'd go with the "/var/spool/mail"
solution, although strictly it would be a Maildir in the user's home
directory if I had my way :)

If you are supporting, say, 2000 users, go and get familiar with Exim's
config. It can be set up to authenticate against whatever you like, and
deliver wherever you want in a variety of formats given the correct
highly verbose and bracket-ridden incantations, so virtual users are no
problem.

I've not heard of Dovecot but it looks quite cool at first glance. RTFM ;)

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk