[Gllug] Mail servers on FC4

Pip gl.lug at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 28 16:38:04 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 28 Jun 2005 10:34, Anthony Newman wrote:

> How much effort it's worth expending probably depends on how many users
> you expect to support. If it's, say, 20 it's probably not worth
> buggering about with scalable systems; I'd go with the "/var/spool/mail"
> solution, although strictly it would be a Maildir in the user's home
> directory if I had my way :)

I'd been considering that very thing, particularly as there are only about
twenty users. But I want to be able to get it right and take it away with me
so I can go for a "real" job.

> If you are supporting, say, 2000 users, go and get familiar with Exim's
> config. It can be set up to authenticate against whatever you like, and
> deliver wherever you want in a variety of formats given the correct
> highly verbose and bracket-ridden incantations, so virtual users are no
> problem.

The general impression I got, though, was that it doesn't run as a pop server.

> I've not heard of Dovecot but it looks quite cool at first glance. RTFM ;)

I trolled around to get a feel for what might be good to go for, and Dovecot
seems a favourite, especially now that cyrus-imap isn't supplied with FC4 -
kind of a shame since exim already has support for it built in.
The Fine Manual for exim looks good. But very, very substantial, and aimed at
a full understanding of what's going on rather than the short, simple,
stupidity-proof brief I was hoping for.
The Dovecot one seems okay too, but devils and details keep getting mixed
together. I'm further on than before. Maybe I'll find the missing comma in
the next day or two and lay it all to rest.

Pip
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk