[Gllug] New hard disk needed - nearby suppliers?

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 22:44:37 UTC 2005

Phil Reynolds wrote:

> It will be the first time I have done an upgrade since I started using
> grub as my bootloader, so any hints on how to handle that part of a hard
> disk upgrade would be very helpful.

You just need to set up the grub first stage loader on the new disk. You
do this from the grub shell, with something like "setup(hd0)", where hd0
is the first disk seen by grub. It's probably easiest to move all the
data, then remove the old disk. With just the new disk in, boot a
Knoppix CD or similar, and run the grub shell from there.

HTH,

Mike.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk