[Gllug] Recovering ISOs from a FUBARed HDD

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Mon Jun 13 16:31:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:19:15PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> Now my question - is there any way I could have done it if I hadn't had
> the USB device to hand?  Any way of getting those files over the network
> using either Knoppix or the Sarge installation CD?

I don't know what tools either provides, but I can think of a few *evil*
ways to transfer a file between machines without any decent
file-transfer stuff.

I think the best [worst] I ever saw was as follows:
1) uuencode file
2) split into 8 byte chunks
3) use adb to write chunks into /etc/utmp, sleeping after each write
4) use rwho to retrieve chunks

But seriously, if that's looking attractive, you have FAR bigger
problems.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk