[Gllug] Recovering ISOs from a FUBARed HDD

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 17:09:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 05:19:15PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I had an interesting problem.  The HDD failed in my school workstation,
> producing so many read errors that the system could no longer boot
> successfully.
>
> I've ordered a new HDD (due tomorrow) and I have to hand some 8 day old
> Mondo backup CDs, but... I knew that on the system there were some more
> up to date ISOs produced by Mondo at the weekend, so I set out to see
> whether I could read them off the disc.  Only one problem - the files
> were on an LVM disc chunk.
>
> I booted with Knoppix, which was fine and I could read the disc and talk
> to the network, but it seems Knoppix doesn't understand LVM.
>
> Then I booted with the Sarge installation CD.  That gave me a system
> which would talk to the network *and* understood LVM, so I could see the
> files I wanted to retrieve.  Unfortunately, the Sarge installation CD
> doesn't seem to carry any network tools capable of shoving files over
> the network.
>
> In the end I managed to get the files by connecting a large USB HDD and
> copying them off whilst booted from the Sarge installation CD.
>
> Now my question - is there any way I could have done it if I hadn't had
> the USB device to hand?  Any way of getting those files over the network
> using either Knoppix or the Sarge installation CD?

If it's a trusted network then you could use netcat to pull it across.
The current Debian Sarge CD has nc symlinked to busybox.

On the machine with the files:
	nc -l -p 12345 -c "cat file"

On another machine:
	nc machine1 12345 > file

Netcat on the first machine will quit after finishing the cat and
closing the connection.

It's not secure or 100% reliable, but can get you out of a jam when
you don't have SSH available. Check md5sum or file sizes afterwards
would be recommended.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk