[Gllug] spamassassin v bogofilter

Michael Moritz mimo at gn.apc.org
Thu Jun 2 13:53:44 UTC 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 14:43, Rich Walker wrote:
> Michael Moritz <mimo at gn.apc.org> writes:
> >>
> >> You are trusting that all other MTAs and MUAs do the "right thing".
> >> Experience shows that this sometimes is not the case.
> >
> > What do you mean? My SMTP server disconnects after the greylist check,
> > the session is ended. No way the sender can continue sending the mail
> > data as the tcp session is closed.
>
> The sender then drops the mail on the floor, or bounces it to the
> originator with an unhelpful message.

Thought this was about the reduction of mail server load, not weird MTA
implementations...

> *This* is the problem with greylisting - critical upstream MTA's break
> when presented with it.

That is why you would whitelist them beforehand.

BTW, there is still a problem with this. What does one of these "critical
upstream MTAs" do when it is confronted with a genuine 4xx message? Does it
just lose the message, seriously? I think that's even more worrying than
greylisting...

mimo

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk