[Gllug] Change Management tools

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Wed Jun 8 11:20:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:14, Wayne Allen wrote:
> Email : wayne at fused.org
> Web   : http://www.fused.org/
>

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Steve Nelson wrote:
>
> > On 6/8/05, Wayne Allen <wayne at micromouse.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > anyone have any experience with change management software? We could
> > > deploy CVS across all of our servers to track changes of config files
> > > etc, but we are looking for something a bit more 'wordy'.
> >
> > Could you explain what you mean by that?
>
> Basically its down to a question of who changed what, when, and why. I
> have experience of using CVS to manage software projects, and have even
> used it to manage configs for web servers, but it falls down when it comes
> to I installed the new version of BIND today in xyz/aaa/com. Management
> are begining to push for us to be more 'professional' and CMS seems to be
> ther 'in' thing

linux package management tools (e.g. deb and rpm) track that kind of
info. It wouldn't be very difficult to poll the package DBs on each host
and dump the pertinent info into a central database.

CMS? means content management system a la Zope or Mambo? Not the first
thing that springs to mind when tracking install changes.

Huw
--
| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk