[Gllug] iptables and flaky ssh, ftp, vnc

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 20:27:20 UTC 2005

More questions, sorry...

In return for making her a website and setting up WEP, our neighbour
lets me use her wireless ADSL, which is accessible from one side of our
house. Since I'm normally on the other side I use an old laptop with two
wireless cards, and iptables, to route between our home network and the
ADSL router next door.

The problem is that when using ssh, ftp or vnc, the connection is often
lost. For instance, whilst using browsercam.com's handy vnc service from
my Thinkpad, I keep getting kicked off with this message:
.
ReadFromRFBServer: rdr::SystemException: read: Connection reset by peer
(104)

and it's the same with ssh :(
Any hints as to where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,
Tom Weissmann

--- iptables script ---

world=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
dest=192.168.200.0/24
dev=$1
devip=$2

iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -s $world -d $dest -j ACCEPT -o $dev
iptables -I INPUT 1 -s $dest -d $world -j ACCEPT -i $dev
iptables -I FORWARD 1 -s $world -d $dest -j ACCEPT -o $dev
iptables -I FORWARD 1 -s $dest -d $world -j ACCEPT -i $dev
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $dev -j SNAT --to $devip
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk