[Gllug] mysql binary logs

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 19:47:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:23:03PM +0100, Steve Nelson wrote:
> On 6/13/05, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> > Alain Williams wrote:
> > > The database itself works (queries/selects) -- I just can't get the logging to appear to do anything.
> >
> > A read only operation wouldn't need to write a log.
>
> Well - not quite.  You might want to log SELECT statements and queries
> for auditing, app profiling, gathering information for optimisation
> etc.
>
> The binary log doesn't log things which don't change the database,
> since it is used for granular recovery and replication.
>
> If you want to log all statements (for example, to identify a problem
> query) you should use the general query log - see:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Query_log.html

Ahah !! Something in there provided the clue ... the correct section is not
''[mysql.server]'' or ''[mysqld_safe]'' but ''[mysqld]''.

I knew that it had to be something stupid.

I still don't see why passing it as an argument to mysqld_safe didn't work.

Thanks all!

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.