[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 18:25:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 04:33:49PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    The reason for the reduced size MTU used to be that it was a better fit
> in the old BT system, which has now been replaced or upgraded to handle 1500
> correctly. There is no longer any general reason for using a reduced MTU.

I run PPPoE over an ethernet cable, with an MTU of 1500. This mandates a
lower MTU for the PPPoE tunnel's contents.

If I wanted an MTU of 1500 inside the PPPoE tunnel, I'd have to use
oversized ethernet frames between my firewall and my DSL router (which I
doubt the latter is going to like) and the equipment which terminates my
PPPoE tunnel will have to support a larger MTU than 1500 for the
incoming PPPoE packets.

Doubt it'll work. I need to use PPPoA, but haven't yet got a workable
solution that allows me to terminate the PPP link on my firewall.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk