[GLLUG] Slightly OT - Netiquette at work

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:13:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:01:55 +0000, Steve Nelson <sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello gang,
>
> I've been grumbled at by managers for *not* top-posting at work!
[snip]

> Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes. Lots

> Does one just have to put on a corporate face and play along with the
> top-posting, html-crazy masses?
>
> Or is it worth being different and refusing to comply?

Well, I don't but if I was explicitly told to stop doing something I
guessed I'd have to think it through.

I get asked a fair bit why *my* email is different to everyone elses
and why I don't use the correct font for our signature.

You are in the right though :)

The problem comes (as you describe) when people mix top posting and
correct quoting, then the thread is impossible to follow rather than
merely illogical as with top-posting

> I feel a bit crap about it to be honest - but maybe its a lost battle,
> and not worth worrying about?
>
> Thoughts?

Of course it is worth worrying about. Things that matter are worth
worrying about and making a stand for.

Make me happy when I get mail from people that previously used to
top-post and have no learnt to quote correctly.

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk