[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Mon Mar 7 18:47:53 UTC 2005

Craig Millar writes:

>ok, stood here with a can of worms in the one hand and a can opener in the
>other. i know it's been debated a zillion times but i have been lurking on
>this list a while now and have, like the rest of us, formed a respect for
>certain people's opinions and an inclination to ignore those of certain
>others.

Well for me, there is simply no choice -- it has to be vi. Emacs is just
too... well, non-Unixy. I guess ultimately, it just boils down to the fact
that vi fits my way of working better. I find vi to be the most efficient
way I've found of editing text. I don't need (or indeed want) my editor to
be able to read mail/news, browse the web, psychoanalyse me, or use many
of megabytes of RAM :-) I have other perfectly good programs for that. I
just want my editor to be able to edit text, and vi does that extremely
well.

The only real way to work out which to use is try both and see which you
prefer.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk