[Gllug] ADSL problem

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:20:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:21:41AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:

> Is the only socket in use the first physical/primary socket in the house ?
> (ie first one in the 'chain' from where the line comes into the house)
>
> If so, suggest you try and physically disconnect all the other sockets from it
> so you have only the following layout:-
>
>        bt line              |----| |-----|-----PHONE
> ============================| A  |=| B   |
>                             |----| |-----|-----ROUTER
>
> A=socket;  B=Microfilter

IIRC with a modern master socket this is trivial to do, as all the
extension wiring comes into the faceplate. Remove the faceplate on the
master socket by removing the two screws on the front, and you should
find a socket inside, which the faceplate plugs into.

Try plugging the microfilter directly into that - this should take any
dodgy extension wiring out of the equation.

Also try plugging the 'phone directly into the socket without the
microfilter. If it behaves the same as when connected to the 'phone'
socket on the filter, then it would suggest that your filter is doing
sweet F.A.

I always thought that the ADSL carrier sounded like the 'warble' you get
from high-compression audio streams, such as low-bitrate realaudio, MP3
or windows media audio (or even high bitrate realaudio or wma... :)

Also, from what I recall, that socket inside the master socket is the
point at which BT's network ends. You're not supposed to touch anything
beyond that socket, but are allowed to attach any approved devices to
it. I'm sure some of the more knowledgable telecoms people on the list
will point out any misconceptions I have though...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk