[Gllug] TFT Recommendations

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:47:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:18:08PM +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> I just got one of these (but in 'silver')
>
> http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=2SB1&searchphrase=prolite%20e431s

I was asked to buy a TFT at work recently, and I ended up plumping for
this too. Paid £163 ex. VAT from Insight (http://uk.insight.com) for it
on the company account. They have a different price depending on colour,
so I grumbled and got ivory for the price they were advertising silver
at :). Aria (http://www.aria.co.uk) price was £165 or so ex. VAT

Aria have a 17" for £125 ex. VAT or so, but I've seen them in the flesh,
and the casing is very cheap-looking (still, if they display a
picture...). I'd check their "Super specials" - they often have a TFT or
few in there, but don't assume it's a great deal.

$boss has the monitor, so I don't know what it's like. He hasn't
complained (except about the speakers).

The extra £40 ex. VAT seemed not unreasonable, given that it was a 10ms
response (instead of 12 or 14 IIRC) and had DVI (speakers I rightly
assumed would be worthless).

If your budget is £200-250, then you might even be able to get a non-DVI
18 or 19" screen, or a widescreen model. I didn't look at those
though...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk