[Gllug] ADSL problem

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 13:13:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:20:55AM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> NOTHING will prevent destruction of the equipment on a line by a direct hit to
> the 'phone lines

A wireless DSL router and cordless telephone would presumably eliminate
such damage beyond the cordless telephone base station and the wireless
router, both of which are fairly commodity components these days (if
more than a little sucky in the ADSL router case). Then all you'd need
to worry about would be any spikes on the power supply caused by the
strike, or anything the antennae picked up (I'm assuming here that an
antennae inside a building is unlikely to be hit, but I've no experience
with lightening strikes...)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk