[Gllug] Playstation 2 Linux

honos honos at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 7 11:14:13 UTC 2005

Ian Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone have any experience of using linux on the PS2.
>
> Basically, I have a PS2 downstairs, and would like to have a PC that I
> can run downstairs when kids are asleep - but the other half wouldn't
> be keen on another box in the lounge.
>
> Does anyone know how well it works on a normal PAL TV - is it useable
> like this?
>
> Ian

Hi Ian,

I've just got one for myself to do some work on it, unless u use it for
game programming specific to P2 I'd suggest to buy a box from ebay at
the same price as the linux kit.

It's nice but slow in X11/twm, firefox 4 example is already using 80/90%
of RAM just to view pages ...there are of course other browsers but with
only 32Mb RAM the machine is a bit of a dog, u cannot boot it from HD
but need to load 8MB memory card (other costs if u keep one for this
task only) and also the CD everytime (that's my personal opinion)

Nowadays u can get a Pentium I or II under £100/150 (price of Linux kit)
with better performances or what about a small laptop if the wife
doesn't like to much hardware laying around!

honos

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk