[Gllug] Stories of using filters

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 23:59:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 18:06 +0000, Tethys wrote:

> >> split
> >
> >Another one I've never really used.
>
> In the past it was handy for chopping files up into 1.44MB chucks so they
> would fit onto a bunch of floppies, but I don't tend to do that any more.
> And of note, there's no easy way to recombine them in the MS world anyway,
> which caused me no end of pain:

Actually, there is, though it's not well known. If you had standard
split files called xaa through xad, you could do:-

copy /b xaa /b + xab /b + xac /b + xad outputfile /b

I used to write a small batch that would fit on the last disk that would
do the recombination. This has worked since DOS 5, and I believe still
works on all versions of Windows. The need for it has largely gone
though - I've used it maybe twice in the last 3 years...

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk