[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 20:49:05 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:22:06AM +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:04:00AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> >    Not sure what you are trying to do, but I thought it was possible to
> > allocate a non-routeable IP address to the ADSL modem, which is just used to
> > convert PPPoA to ethernet, and allocate the official IP address to the
> > firewall.
>
> A possibility, although I don't know if the ISPs PPP stuff would allow
> you to negotiate any address but the one you are assigned - I doubt it,
> somehow.
>
> > Another way would be to use a PCI modem in the firewall box.
>
> Yes, this is an option, although there seem to exist no such devices
> with open source drivers. I think the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem has
> open source drivers, although I don't know how good they are, or how
> good the hardware is.

The drivers for the connexant based pci modems arent fully opensource, (it has
firmware it uploads to the ARM on the modem afaik) but I've had it
running perfectly fine for about 4 months, it needs a redial occasionally but
that could just be my local loop,

the modem is a connexant accessrunner pci, it can do 2.5mb down and 1mb up.
--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk