[gllug] ps oddities

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Mar 25 12:26:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, John Winters murmured woefully:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 16:02 +0000, Nix wrote:

>> > I tried it.  top started up in colour - all red and green.  I hit "_" -
>> > nothing happened.  What was meant to happen?
>>
>> Sorry, hit A first to turn on multi-windowing mode, then repeatedly hit
>> _.
>
> Cool!  Now I just need to work out what it all means.

It's stuff sorted in different ways with different visible fields, is
all; biggest historic CPU-time consumers, biggest memory hogs, and a
heap of daemons. Reconfiguring it isn't hard once you wince your way
through the manpage. :)

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk