[Gllug] The netwroked house - a terminal in every room >;)

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Mar 8 10:27:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 08:49 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> I once saw a tiny wiring cabinet intended for the home market,
> which would take both network and telephone traffic over the cat 5
> (you can also do video over cat 5 with baluns).
> The company sold a small hub to fit int he cabinet.

Found the sucker.
http://www.videkonline.co.uk/home.asp?
page=SubSections&ChapterID=37&SectionID=196#5581

or http://tinyurl.com/4fb2b

Show this to your friend - just the dab for a new house install.
Stick it in the hall cupboard - which he can now grandly
rename the server room.
Get the sparkies to run a good few 13 amp plugs into the same room,
and put up a few shelves for a nice mini-ITX system as a server.
Mini-ITXes are quiet, and don't put out much heat so they would be
ideal for a server which lives in a cupboard.

Also maybe get BT to reroute the master socket to the same place.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk