[Gllug] PS - memory use

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Mar 21 18:20:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:53:07PM +0000, Christian Smith wrote:

> What's specifically wrong with swapping? The benefit of virtual memory is
> that you shouldn't need to know how much memory is being used, just how
> much is required to avoid thrashing. That can be done relatively easily
> through observation.

The point is that if you swap performance can drop through the floor. So you
are better off (in this case) limiting the number of worker processes/threads
that apache starts so that the machine does not swap.

> In fact, given the time required to do this tuning and accounting, it
> would probably be more cost effective to just throw extra RAM into the box
> and ignore the problem. Overestimate memory usage and you should be fine.

I quite agree, but sometimes you just want to get the best out of what you have.
Ie: I am a mean sod & don't want to pay bytemark for more memory on my virtual box
but want to use what I have effectively.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>