[Gllug] Understanding ntop

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Wed Mar 9 16:41:01 UTC 2005

> I now have ntop running, as per the recommendation here. One
> question is, how do I interpret the output. I am monitoring a
> single network adaptor (eth0) and the web output shows a
> breakdown of bandwidth by site and also shows one for the ip
> of eth0. Do I need to total all of these up or just look at
> eth0? Is there a page that gives the overall bandwidth
> utilisation ?

Its been a while since I used it, but I know I modified the install to
monitor both interfaces on the gateway I had to get the full picture.

I seem to remember just using the graphs on eth1 (connected to the adsl
router) to show peak usage.  It could be that this will also show you
total usage, but I wasn't concerned with that.

Sorry I can't be of more help having suggested this in the first place!

Andy
p.s.  I still think teh best suggestion was using the counters on the ADSL
router!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk