[Gllug] FLOSS/Linux Political Party

Sid Dabster sid_dabster at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 4 12:09:42 UTC 2005

*** Proposal for a FLOSS/Linux Political Party ***
(FLOSS = Free Libre Open Source Software)
Document version 1.2

Introduction
------------
  I suggest a Linux Party is formed to promote the
idea of free software (and possibly related ideas).
The last European Election with the patent issue
showed the relevance of politics to the free software
movement. Voting purely on patents lead to some
undesirable alliance partners. While as LUG Radio
noted, the patent issue did not brake through into the
mainstream media. If free software is to gain mass
use, we need decision makers and media to be more
aware. A Linux with a free post drop and media time
will do this just as other single issue parties
have.

---
Q1. What would be involved?
A1.
 Nationally
   i.  Register a party needs 3 signatures plus
       a start up fee of 150 pounds (which I
       offer to pay). A Website and domain name.
 For a reasonable campaign per constituency
   i.  12 signatures and a 500 pound deposit.
       nominators are only saying you have a
       right to stand, not that they necessarily
       support, i.e. 10 minutes to collect in
       your street.
   ii. A leaflet designed on a personal computer
   iii.50,000 copies would be duplicated (these
       can contain adverts) about 250 pounds
   iv. Turning up to 2 husting (optional), just
       repeat the same answer to each question.
       Remember IP and computers are more important
       than ever, several billion may be saved by
       using FLOSS. Want more hospitals, tax
       cuts etc, use Linux and OpenOffice.org.
       Every second the government pay Microsoft
       95 pounds, I have not got figure for
       other proprietary software.
   v.  5 minutes radio interview.

Q2. Is this to be an International party
A2. Yes, just free software ideas are valid
    everywhere. So branch of party can form across
    the world.

"Manifesto" Could Include
-------------------------
    *Use of FLOSS, Linux*
     No to DRM
     No software and look & feel patents
     Open hardware
     Standards (end vendor lock-in)
     Free books
     End of EULAs
     No coding obfuscation
     DeCSS, freedom to watch DVDs
     Write what code you want
     End security paranoia
     Freedom to listen to CDs
     Stop criminalising end users
     Anti-Microsoft
     Anti-SPAM and virus policy
     etc.
     etc.

Yes, this a single issue party
-----------------------------
  The aim of these is somewhat different to that of a
full manifesto party that pretty much has to have a
policy for every issue.
  The whole point of a single-issue party is not to
gain elected office, but to attract enough votes that
a full manifesto party will start paying attention to
that single issue and adopt the same policies to gain
the single-issue parties votes, either that or some
single-issue parties actually do manage to 'grow' to a
full manifesto but it's quite rare.
  That's the way I think I understand it anyway,
somebody more versed in politics can correct me.
There have many successful single issue party, from
the small to the large.

Final Thoughts
--------------
As an FLOSS idea, I welcome copying and improving
the document. Perhaps the party could have an honorary
President like RMS, Linus or Alan Cox. I can
imagine Tux or GNU on the ballot paper now. The
cost of paying for enough deposits to get Party
Political Broadcast is easily in the reach of Linux
support companies it would cost the same as a 1 page
advert in a US computer magazine, but have more
influence.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk