[Gllug] Best single CD Linux distro

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:54:35 UTC 2005

> I'd say that there is pretty much zero chance of getting OOo to work
> sanely on a box with 64Mb of RAM. Its working set is twice that size

nah, it'll just swap like a git.  I can get kde, firefox, apache,
mysql and a prolog interpreter all going at the same time on my 166Mhz
64Mb laptop.

Slow as a dog, but quite usable on the train and such for making
commuting more productive.

Point of note: with the Debian stable KDE version it would also play
fullscreen mpeg + audio if I shut the other apps down.  When I up'd it
to the unstable version of KDE it can do the pictures, but runs out of
juice on the audio.

Given the swapping, when I get some time, I plan to replace the 4200
RPM disk with a snazy new fast one, as I reckon that'll show some
noticable speed up.  I'll also have more than 2Gb to play with, so
I'll give OO a try and let you know.  Won't be for a while mind......
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk