[Gllug] Mail server recommendation

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Mar 2 21:52:25 UTC 2005

Russell Howe wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:45:48AM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:

> 3) Use non-Outlook IMAP client to transfer out of Exchange mailbox using
> Exchange's IMAP interface
>
> Caveats: Tested with Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000.
>
> Yes, this requires Exchange, BUT Exchange will automagically
> decomfrobulate all the MS-TNEF (application/x-tnef) encoded attachments
> into the more universal MIME format.
>
> It also does things with the email addresses and other header
> information (although I can't remember if it was good or bad...)

and it does other things too

Exchange like to 'correct' things

I've recently discovered that if you send a multipart/alternative
message with text/plain and text/html parts - Exchange will overwrite
the text/plain part with its own conversion of the text/html part.

Since I was writing something to create the text/plain alternative the
way I wanted - this was *really* annoying!

It's not like it adds any headers to warn you it has done this!

--

Sean
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk