[Gllug] Sender Policy Framework

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sat Mar 26 17:45:47 UTC 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 04:03:16PM +0000, Adrian wrote:
> I have some perl code that allows a user to send an email to a large
> number of people with the envelope address set to their own address (so
> that bounces etc are correctly routed back to the user and not to a
> mixture of the user and the admin depending on how the MUA/MTA is set up
> at the far end).
>
> For the first time this is now causing problems with SPF - mails are
> being rejected for one user who is using a gmail address (NB: this isn't
> spam of any sort).

Unless your script is only ever run from machines that are the
SPF-designated relays for the people who send the mail, you will see
this problem.  Where the sender's mail domain has SPF records, this will
cause you problems when they send mail to any system that implements
SPF.

> What is the best strategy for dealing with this?

Don't do it.  What you are doing is abusing the evelope sender address
in an attempt to fix the problems of broken mail systems.  This is a
battle you cannot win.

> Do I just have to live
> with bounces scattering about and not forcing the envelope address, or
> is there a way to legitimately set the envelope address that SPF will
> accept?

No.  SPF is explicity designed to detect and block what you are doing.

--
Bruce

Those who cast the votes decide nothing.  Those who count the
votes decide everything. -- Joseph Stalin