[Gllug] Programmatically filling in PDF forms

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Fri Mar 4 11:20:13 UTC 2005

Peter Childs writes:

>    On the subject of Pdf/Postscript does anyone know why If there is a
>Opensource editor for Postscript and or PDF or a OpenOffice import
>filter...
>    If if there is no such thing is there any reason why one should not
>be created...

I've always found vi to be a great editor for PostScript (yes, I'm serious).

In general, though, PS and PDF should be thought of as output formats,
not something you work on directly (unless you're in the prepress
industry). Create your document in something else, and then convert it
to PS/PDF. If you want to make changes, make them to the original and
regenerate the PS/PDF.

As for import filters, they're essentially impossible to do in the
general case. If care has been taken when generating them, then you
can take a reasonable stab at recreating the original document. But
not all PS/PDF files are created with that in mind. Bear in mind
that PS (and by extension, PDF) is a full turing complete programming
language, rather than a traditional document format.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk