[Gllug] The netwroked house - a terminal in every room >;)

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Mar 8 10:20:50 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, honos wrote:

> Can I ask why between Cat5 or wi-fi you'd go Cat5 ... is it about security ?

No, more to do with congestion and future-proofing, I would say.  As
more and more devices start using wireless, you're going to get more and
more congestion on the wireless channels.  Particularly in crowded
cities.

If you're using 802.11b, you're really not getting enough bandwidth for
full-frame, uncompressed video.  Sure, you might not want to be throwing
that around today but who knows in the future?

Cables are relatively cheap.  If you've already got the floor dug up,
you might as well chuck some down there.  Hell, don't even terminate it
until you think you might need it if you couldn't be bothered.

Personally, if I were in this position, I'd be putting in conduit.  Then
you can put anything down there at a later date with minimal effort.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Nerds need vacations too.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

"Which is more musical, a truck passing by a factory
 or a truck passing by a music school?"
- John Cage