[Gllug] RE: Gllug Digest, Vol 21, Issue 27

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 17:48:30 UTC 2005

On Friday, 4 Mar 2005, David Abbishaw wrote:
>In your opinion.  In my opinion HTML or RTF greatly improves Email.  The
>ability to embed inline images is just one place where its an
>improvement

On the contrary; the inability to embed images is one of the many
features of plain-text email - for every image you might want, a
thousand pieces of useless junk are discarded. This is obvious from
the difference between garbage-laden Web forums and USENET news, where
posts are necessarily free from images; or by consideration of the
crap that infests any large corporate where marketing weasels are
permitted to send HTML newsletters.

The lack of colour is another; I can read mail in my choice of colours
without worrying that significant data is embedded in colour (as is
the case with Web pages, where I suppress all design where possible).

I was struck by this when a friend of mine - who, for his sins, is an
HTML mail top-quote weenie - said how much he values IM services
because they are quick and present largely unformatted text, forcing
people to rely on the content. That, of course, is how email was
before people like him screwed it up.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Aponoia, March.