[Gllug] Anyone having broadband (probably PlusNet) problems today?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 10:54:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, dylan at dylan.me.uk prattled cheerily:
>          A down side is that it can be somewhat arcane to re-establish
> a connection if the ADSL link dies since the router will only talk to
> one box in this config, and then only when it has assigned the IP by
> dhcp with 60second leases.

30 second :(

It's even more fun in my case because the router refuses to reestablish
a connection if the upstream link dies; you have to reboot it, and that
means you have to do the whole DHCP negotiation dance again.

(I think I've posted the perl script I wrote to do this here in the
past.)

>                            I'd much prefer to have the router be a
> truly transparent bridge.

Yes --- but once it's up, it pretty much just works. (I'm not sure if
I can call anything that requires a 500-line perl script to operate
reliably `just working', though. :) )

--
This is like system("/usr/funky/bin/perl -e 'exec sleep 1'");
   --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk