[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Steve Nelson sanelson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:56:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:46:55 +0000, Pete Ryland <pdr at createservices.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 06:44:29 +0000, John Southern wrote:
> > Does anyone remember logo? Not icons, but the programming language.
>
> Hi John,
>
> The thing about Logo is that it teaches procedural and functional
> programming techniques, including iteration and recursion, for the sole
> purpose of drawing pretty pictures.  That's a great way for kids to learn to
> program, and in some ways I would recommend it over (standard) BASIC, which
> emphasises GOTO way too much for my liking.

Maybe I was well taught (my grandfather was a CompSci lecturer) and
maybe I was lucky to own a BBC, but BBC BASIC never empahsised GOTO.
It had a nice procedure calling method (PROC / ENDPROC), user
definable functions and subroutines.  I was always taught to structure
programs properly and I can't think of any occasions when I had a need
for GOTO.

I even wrote a database and backup system in BBC BASIC which was used
in the local second-hand car garage.

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk