[Gllug] Logo as a first language

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 7 17:04:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Steve Nelson mused:
> Maybe I was well taught (my grandfather was a CompSci lecturer) and
> maybe I was lucky to own a BBC, but BBC BASIC never empahsised GOTO.
> It had a nice procedure calling method (PROC / ENDPROC), user
> definable functions and subroutines.  I was always taught to structure
> programs properly and I can't think of any occasions when I had a need
> for GOTO.

BBC BASIC was hardly BASIC at all: it was rather more powerful.

(But even it was beaten hollow by QL SuperBASIC.)

Bring back JOSS, I say, the language BASIC was meant to be.

--
> ...Hires Root Beer...
What we need these days is a stable, fast, anti-aliased root beer
with dynamic shading. Not that you can let just anybody have root.
 --- John M. Ford
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk