[Gllug] Backup software for a non-techie person

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 21:56:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:31:23 +0000, Ian Norton
<bredroll at darkspace.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 09:11:22PM +0000, Simon Morris wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been asked to recommend a backup solution for a guy who has 2
> > Linux servers but doesn't know a lot about the OS at all. He's a Mac
> > user
>
> Macs are unix now :-), he has no excuse

Yeah, have you tried that argument with Mac zealots? Mac has been UNIX
based for how long? about 2-3 years, and I still can't get any Mac
engineer that I work with to do stuff "under the hood" without getting
disgusted looks.

Even administrators of OS X Servers, drives me mad

> > I need a solution that has a good graphical interface that shows the
> > status of backup jobs and is going to give him a fighting chance of
> > recovering data by browsing the catalogue for a file and inserting the
> > tape as instructed.
>
> Amanda is excellent,
>
> it can prompt via email (or afaik even fax, sms or jabber) to tell him which
> tape to put where and and when.
>
> you shouldnt need to teach him more than can fit on a postit if you set it up
> ok,

OK, sounds good. I know Amanda is good, but never had to use it much.

Would the postit include information on how to restore? That is the
part that is worrying me.

I would like to install it all, collect the beers and not have to be
asked to restore stuff when the time comes.

Thanks

~sm
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk