[Gllug] Best single CD Linux distro

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 15:47:40 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:53:09 +0000, Matthew Cooke <mpcooke3 at lineone.net> wrote:
> Ubuntu Linux 400Mhz PII 64Meg Dell Optiplex
>               * Boot time - 3 minutes
>               * OpenOffice? - 2 minutes
>               * Firefox - 25 Seconds
>               * Evolution - 25 Seconds

Interesting.  My 166Mhz Pentium 1, with 64Mb of ram will boot
debian+kde in about the same time (~3mins from power on, to typing on
a kshell).  Disk is too small for Open Office, but Firefox is about
similar, maybe a little longer.

I've found Opera to be a little faster on my box, but in this case I
assume you want to stick to the entirely open source route.

I hadn't realised quite how limiting the memory is for this sort of
spec, relative to the processor.

Btw:, I run apmd on the laptop, as it can recover from that in about
30 seconds, os, kde, apps the lot.  Thus, you boot once and fire up
your apps and then simply (re)suspend it after that for much faster
start up.  I can even swap the batteries over whilst suspended which I
rather like.

Never played with apmd on a desktop box, but given your setup, it may
be worth a play?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk