[GLLUG] Slightly OT - Netiquette at work

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 16:22:40 UTC 2005

On Friday, 18 Mar 2005, Steve Nelson wrote:
>The argument is that sometimes someone wants to forward the 'email
>chain' to someone else, and info which has been trimmed as no longer
>relevant to the discussion is missing, so rather than sending one
>'chain', more than one email has to be sent.

They need a mail client with a decent digest-sending facility, but not
much hope of that.

The argument here should be that this case where someone suddenly
needs to be brought in - but where the previous discussion is not so
daunting in size that it will be more efficient for someone already
participating to summarise it - simply does not come up very often.

>"Everyone else" top-posts, why should I be different?  Please follow
>'the standard'.

The answer as to why you should be different is that it is very
difficult for a top-quoter to respond to an email that makes several
separate substantive points.

>Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've never been compelled to when it comes up.

Ultimately, if they give you direct instructions, meh. It's just work;
you still get paid even when you're paid to do things you know are
counterproductive. Lacking direct instructions, I would not do it.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Chedday, March - a public holiday.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk