[Gllug] Mail server recommendation

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 21:10:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 09:45:48AM -0000, Wiehe, Simon wrote:
> Also the clients are M$ based and use outlook, does anyone know
> of a utility to import data from an outlook pst file into a
> Linux based mail server ?

The best way I found for getting emails from Outlook .pst files into a
Linux IMAP server was to:

1) Configure Outlook for Exchange mode
2) Move emails from the .pst file into Exchange mailbox
3) Use non-Outlook IMAP client to transfer out of Exchange mailbox using
Exchange's IMAP interface

Caveats: Tested with Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000.

Yes, this requires Exchange, BUT Exchange will automagically
decomfrobulate all the MS-TNEF (application/x-tnef) encoded attachments
into the more universal MIME format.

It also does things with the email addresses and other header
information (although I can't remember if it was good or bad...)

You don't get this if you use Outlook itself to transfer the emails to
the IMAP server (you can't configure both an IMAP server and native
connection to Exchange at the same time in Outlook 2000 - you need 2002
or better for that)

Also, there is this utility:

readpst - Converts Outlook PST files to mbox and others

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk