[Gllug] ADSL problem

Sarah Ewen sarah.ewen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:55:56 UTC 2005

Our new home had ADSL teething problems; our connection would randomly
drop, sometimes within 15 minutes or less. It got annoying so
eventually we disconnected the extension on the master socket to see
if that would help.

Well...the other half disconnected it.

We lost sync. No internet.
"It must be the provider" he says.
Wait an hour, watch "A few good men" that was on telly the other
night. Call ISP - no reported problems.

"Is there anything in that phone point that I should see?"
"No, it's disconnected. It's just two wires!"
"And they're both disconnected?"
"Er. I pulled out one...."

Remove the other one.
Sync! Unbroken connection! Internet paradise!

Smug mode!
Moral of the story: don't trust phone extensions...or anyone else.
(this extension was recently "fixed" by a BT phone engineer.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk