[Gllug] D-state processes

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 12:21:20 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Am I right in thinking that a process in a D state is unkillable?

For example, if I'm watching a DVD and it's scratched, mplayer will end
up in this state, I can't kill it and the plucky CD drive just doesn't
know when to give up. Can I do anything about this? I need to run
mplayer as root to use VESA, perhaps this is a factor.

Anything apart from getting a new laptop or running Windows, that is

re Gate's knighthood: can't see why we should object - surely in the
face of growing competition from China and India we have a lot to learn
from M$?

cheers,
Tom SW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk