[Gllug] D-state processes

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Mar 2 12:38:17 UTC 2005

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann writes:

>Am I right in thinking that a process in a D state is unkillable?

Yes and no. Any process is killable, by sending it a SIGKILL, which it
can't ignore. However, a process in D state won't receive that signal
until it exits from D state.

>re Gate's knighthood: can't see why we should object - surely in the
>face of growing competition from China and India we have a lot to learn
>from M$?

Ha ha ha ha. Ouch, my sides hurt. In terms of unethical business
practices, then yes, they could probably teach us a thing or two.
In terms of technology, though, they have very little of value to
us.[1]

Tet

[1] Actually, even that's not strictly true. It's just that they base
    some reasonable technology on such shaky foundations. Plus their
    "design for incompatibility" modus operandi doens't help either.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk