[Gllug] Un-supported writing to floppy

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 28 02:05:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 07:29:37PM +0100, Gatekeeper wrote:
> Hello All.
> I am using SuSE Linux on a Dell Inspiron 4000 and have just upgraded to
> ver 9.2.  It may well be idiot finger trouble :-) but I am unable to
> find any help in 2 Linux manuals (3 counting the suse manual) and 1 Unix
> manual to change 'permissions' (?) either as root , group or user to
> allow me to write to my floppy drive particularly to back up vital data
> from my word processor :-(  Can anyone please help?
> Kind regards.
> David

Aside from the other posts, you might need to edit your /etc/fstab

make a line that looks like this:-

/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy    vfat     user,noauto,rw   0   0

this should allow you to type 'mount /mnt/floppy' as any user, and gain
rw access to the drive, if you use gnome/nautilus, this will mount the disk
when you try to open it in through nautilus.

dont forget to unmount it after saving your work

Ian

--
Ian Norton-Badrul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk