[Gllug] Gigabyte + AMD AMIBIOS upgrade

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Mar 1 11:37:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 10:26 +0000, neil c wrote:

> Oh how I long for the day when we can use a native Linux
> file/executable format to update a BIOS.

There is /dev/nvram which you can use to duplicate BIOS settings between
machines.
modprobe nvram
cat /dev/nvram > file (on known good machine)
cat file > /dev/nvram (on machine to be setup)

YMMV. And this ISN'T to be done without thorough testing on machines
which you can do without if they are scrambled. You have been warned.

There is also /dev/bios  from the OpenBIOS project
http://www.openbios.info/development/devbios.html
for flashing BIOSes.
This is interesting to us.
Again, if you try this out and it ends in tears, don't come crying to
GLLUG.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk