[Gllug] Gigabyte + AMD AMIBIOS upgrade

neil c neil at cozyspace.net
Tue Mar 1 10:26:21 UTC 2005

Chris Bell AT overview.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Subject: [Gllug] Gigabyte + AMD AMIBIOS upgrade
>
> Hello,
>    Can anyone please give advice on upgrading the BIOS on a Gigabyte
> GA-7VEML motherboard. There is a 256K flash ROM, and I have saved the
> original BIOS to floppy as a 256K file using the Q-flash facility
> already
> available in the original BIOS. This should also be able to load a new
> BIOS
> from a file on a floppy.
>    The file provided on the Gigabyte website is a 483K .exe file, and
> it
> seems to be a package to install a new BIOS from a running 32bit M$
> windoze
> OS. There does not appear to be a 256K file.
>    There should also be a live update facility which will run in M$ and
> update the BIOS online.
>    I am trying to avoid the need to load 32bit M$ windoze just to
> update the
> BIOS, but I have not found any suitable 256K file, and the 483K file
> does
> not appear to be what is needed. The reason for upgrading is that the
> AMD
> Athlon processor and memory do not appear to be detected correctly, so
> clock
> rates appear to be incorrect.
>
> --
> Chris Bell
Oh how I long for the day when we can use a native Linux
file/executable format to update a BIOS.

I have in the past used wine to extract files from the .exe but you
will need a DOS bootable floppy. I haven't used freedos but I have used
the 'non-windows based image files' from
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm.