[Gllug] vi vs emacs (repeat)

Benedikt Heinen gllug at ml.icemark.net
Wed Mar 9 12:53:46 UTC 2005

>>> <quote>
>>> To win a bet I wrote a set of vi macros that let vi simulate a Turing
>>> Machine.  Since Turing Machines are universal computational devices,
>>> this should settle the editor wars debate for once and for all.
>>>
>>> Other editors may have better user interfaces than vi, but they are
>>> certainly no more "powerful".
>>> </quote>
>> Interesting - how does the availability of a good macro system settle the
>> editor wars debate once and for all (in favour of vi), if other editors
>> have equally powerful macro systems and "better" user interfaces?
> It doesn't.  But the two most popular reasons that emacs users prefer
> emacs are (i) power and (ii) ease of use.  This knocks out the first
> one; the second remains a matter of choice.

Well, I would agree with that statement - nevertheless, I find it
ridiculous to see how these discussions end up in some instances, like the
quote above, which would tend to suggest that the author would pretty much
think that just through the macro language vi becomes the superior editor
(as the macro language would "settle the editor wars debate" "once and for
all")...

May all the vi users be eternally happy with their favourite editor, and
(x)emacs users with theirs!

   Benedikt

--
 	It seems I think I am, therefore it seems I am, I think!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk