[Gllug] BT and Outgoing Email

Russell Howe rhowe at wiss.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 18:55:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 06:53:07PM +0100, David Abbishaw wrote:
> Has anyone come across BT Openworld not allowing you to send email through
> there servers if you try to set your email address to something other than
> your btopenworld address
>
> Any Ideas or anyone know of a workaround?

Our workaround for someone who suffered this was to tell them to set
their From: address to their ISP address, and their Reply-To: address to
be the address they wanted people using. This wasn't with BT (it was
someone in the US), but it should still work, despite not being very
pretty and exposing their ISP address.

Another way would be to set up an SMTP server somewhere with SMTP AUTH
(you probably want SSL/TLS too) and have the user send via that, logging
in first (or you could make it an open relay, but you'll probably get on
a blacklist pretty quickly :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk