[Gllug] BT and Outgoing Email

Richard Turner richard at zygous.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 18:11:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 18:53 +0100, David Abbishaw wrote:
> Has anyone come across BT Openworld not allowing you to send email through
> there servers if you try to set your email address to something other than
> your btopenworld address, say if you own a domain name and you want to have
> your mail appear to come from that address.  I know that I could fix the
> issue with setting up a local SMTP server unfortunately the place I need to
> do this I cant.  Also some dynamic IP ranges are caught up in various spam
> DB's so Id prefer to offload the mail to a big mail server which is less
> likely to be blacklisted.
>
> Any Ideas or anyone know of a workaround?

I don't know of a workaround but I do know that gradwell dot com[1] will
grant you authorised access to their SMTP servers for a nominal fee of
£15/year. The service is offered specifically to solve this problem. BT
Broadband exhibits the same behaviour and their barebones package
doesn't provide any email accounts at all.

[1] http://www.gradwell.com/email/smtp-relay.php

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."

30F2739E: B53 8184 E61F 3604 FBF3  4CCB EF07 2942 30F2 739E